Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Sorority Girl?

When my mom recovered from giving birth to my siblings and me, her post pardom room was more like a 'group room'.  She explains how six or seven women sat around with their newborn babies and chatted with one another and helped one another with their bundles of joy.  No curtains posed as makeshift walls and they chatted amongst themselves instead of chatting on their cell phones.  They embraced each other and became fast friends who were also a network of support for one another- a sorority of sorts.   (After all, who else will never tire of hearing the nitty-gritty details of another woman's birth story?)   I would have balked at sharing a room with a stranger and was very thankful that I had a private room with Aiden and the bed next to me stayed empty while recovering from Ayla's birth.  Did I miss out?

If my memory serves me correctly, I had 15 friends, family, and coworkers who had babies in 2009, the year Aiden was born.  We exchanged delivery stories, 'how to' books, baby clothes, play dates (sorry, Joel, I had to use that word), prayers, and general moral support.  Little did I know Aiden would help me 'rush a sorority' that had guaranteed acceptance.  I was not in want.

Fast forward to Ayla's birth.  The number of friends who gave birth this year is significantly less.  However, there is a new level to this sorority.  Dear friends of mine have experienced minor and major health scares with their children.  There were even new mommy friends introduced to my life to walk along side me with a poignant purpose.  Some with very similar experiences as Ayla's and some very different.  The common thread:  deep concern for our babies and the need to surrender our children's health to God's care.

As I look back at my mother's experience and mine, it is confirmed:  God provides the right people at the right time with the right support for the right experience.

Though Ayla's one kidney is working with the hydronephrosis improving and her heart murmur is innocent, we still have to be very vigilant with her health.  At 1 1/2 months she was treated for a mild UTI as we caught it early.  Last night, I was at urgent care for four-and-a-half hours while they drew blood, and attempted to collect a urine sample from a newborn- not easy.  Her fever peeked at 101.4 and was lowered with the help of acetaminophen.  She received an injection of antibiotics as the presumption is that she has another UTI.   All the while, Daddy was home with Aiden (who just recovered from pink eye and is currently on antibiotics for a sinus infection).  We follow up with Ayla's doctor today.

Whether you are in this 'sorority' or not, will you please take a moment to pray for our little girl?  Please pray that whatever is causing the reoccurring UTI, that it will be healed.   We know that antibiotics are helpful, but she is only 2 1/2 months old and has taken more antibiotics than one would want.  Thanks for being the right person at the right time with the right support for this experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment